Thursday, January 22, 2009

All Choked Up: A Story of Acid Reflux

Last weekend, my husband ate a bite of pot roast at my mother-in-law's house during a party and it got stuck, completely stuck, in his esophagus. Immediately, he had the strangest look on his face and I knew something was very wrong.

A long story short: we ended up in the local emergency room and they transported him to the renowned Methodist hospital in Houston to see a thorasic surgeon (a doctor who cuts on/removes esophaguses). The surgeon scoped his throat several times and removed the pieces of food bit by bit and then took a biopsy while in there to investigate why this might have happened. They think he has acid reflux.

Paul has never had the traditional symptoms of acid reflux, such as heartburn. He does cough very hard, though, and often just out of the blue. According to the surgeon, that can be a sure sign of reflux that shuts out the other common signs, causing the person to not even realize acid is burning their esophagus.

Needless to say, I am very interested now in how to deal with acid reflux naturally. My husband doesn't want to live on Nexium when he's got good, body-blessing options.

So, I will be posting some of the things I'm finding and that we're trying as we go along this journey. Stay tuned for the exciting results.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that he's okay!! I've taken Nexium and it did wonders for my acid reflux. However, natural ways are always just as effective, if not better, so I'll be interested in what you find!!

I love reading your blogs!!

Health at Home said...

Yes, he's doing MUCH better. Paul's coughing is nearly non-existent now, after being a part of every early morning for as long as I can remember.

I have discovered over the years that when we treat our ails naturally (with God's "medicine," I like to say), the healing takes place on several levels. Not only the problem you are attacking gets better, but also things you didn't realize were wrong get better!

Natural solutions may take longer to see the result, but are so worth it in the long run because there is no burden attached to them. And that is good news!

Thanks for the comment!
Heart ya,
Kristen