Friday, October 3, 2008

Hurricane Ike Didn't Blow Me Away. . .

praise the Lord!

Here's a picture of my family rolling one of the fallen Hackberry trees down to the curb for the county to come by and pick up.


The kids and I stayed in the house with Paul and his Aunt Wynona as the eye of the hurricane passed right over our house. That's all the experience I need! I don't care to ever stay through a direct hit again. The north wall and the south wall of the eye are so intense-- I could hear our windows bowing in and out. But four out of my five children did sleep through the whole thing!

Then everybody's electricity went out. We did really well until the next afternoon. I'll never forget my 18-month old looking over at me with bright red cheeks and utterly exhausted. I was slumped on the couch in front of the biggest window I could find trying to forget how morning sick I was. Paul looked at me and said he was sending us where there was a/c. I smiled.

How did pioneer women do this in long sleeves and long hair?
So, the kids and I went on "hurrication" and had an absolutely relaxing, wonderful time.

I did learn something during my "hurrication." I learned that we need to make more time for fun. We need to purpose to relax.

How many of us hit the floor running each morning, flying from computer to traffic to computer again to traffic again to computer again to away-from-home evening activities? And if you're a SAHM like me, you are just as busy--chauffeuring, cleaning, washing laundry, maybe homeschooling your children, some more laundry, running errands in town, some more laundry. . . .

We need to say NO to crazy busy and yes to some good, ol' fashioned, healthy Fun!

So, do me a favor and make time to relax!!

Tonight, we are breaking out our new family-sized tent for a maiden voyage in the back yard. We want to make sure our toddlers (and Mom and Dad) can handle sleeping all night outside before we travel all the way to a state park. ha

Write me sometime and let me know what you and your loved ones chose to do to relax a little. I'd love to hear your ideas!

No comments: