Friday, July 25, 2008

Eating Down the Pantry



I walked into the kitchen to this sight recently.

One of my sons had pushed a chair up to the cabinet to do something or another and then left the chair right there. Does that sound familiar in your house?

Well, Chase saw his opportunity and grabbed it with gusto! I walk into the kitchen to my Little Climber bravely making his way up onto the countertop and pulling himself to his full height to take full advantage of whatever treasures he may find in the pantry. He is so resourceful, right?

Well, I squelch a screech and decide to watch him carefully as I run backwards to grab the camera. This was just too cute not to capture. And after four boys, these things just don't freak me out anymore. Women in the grocery store keep gasping and running to set my children back on their bottoms in the cart. They are so sweet.


No, Mom-- please don't stop me!


I was looking over the fun photos when a thought struck me. We do something around our house that I take so for granted, but others may never have heard of or tried.

I call it "eating down the pantry." It fosters creativity, reduces wastefulness, teaches self-discipline and is real healthy on the budget.

It basically works like this: you eat for as long as you possibly can on what you have in your freezer, fridge and pantry before going to the grocery store.It almost becomes a rush to see how long you can go.

When I first married, I thought every meal had to be unique and elaborate for me to be a good wife. To do so, we put groceries on the credit card --often-- *CRINGE*. {Those were my pre-Larry Burkett and Dave Ramsey days--I have since repented.} Then tough times hit. Hard.

There honestly were times that I was not able to go to the grocery store and the only choice we had was to eat down the pantry. But in the midst of those frightening times, I discovered a peaceful truth.

God provides WELL.
He can literally making something from nothing.

Out of only two or three ingredients, He and I can create a delicious meal together. He provides the inspiration and I provide the hands.


Looking at these pictures of my pantry, I had another thought. How fun would it be to make a list of what I could make right now for meals from what's in there {and in my freezer and fridge}.

Ready?

* whole grain vermicelli with homemade tomato sauce (frozen whole tomatoes, onion, garlic and Italian spices)
* taco beef or bean enchiladas topped with a canned enchilada sauce and little parmesan cheese
* baked potatoes with BBQ beef --easy homemade sauce that uses bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.
* scalloped (dairy-free) potatoes with green peas and some baked chicken from the freezer
* oatmeal for breakfast, oatmeal muffins, oatmeal cookies
* a big dark chocolate chip-peppermint cookie
* chicken salad sandwiches and carrot sticks
* chicken and rice
* chicken spaghetti
* hamburgers with baked potato fries
* cinnamon raisin biscuits
* biscuits and gravy
* mashed potatoes and gravy
* pancakes, waffles or french toast topped with a little frozen fruit from the freezer and yummy maple syrup
* brown rice (or white rice) with butter and honey drizzled over the top

And the list of possible meals can go on. . .

Do you get the point with me? God is infinitely creative and can help us eat down our pantry, saving us money, time spent shopping and frustration over rising gas prices.

So, there it is.
If you choose to try this Grand Experiment, let us all know what feasts came out of your pantry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha I really loved the pictures that were in the blog. They gave me a pretty good chuckle

Love
Brit