Saturday, June 28, 2008

Goat's Rue

I have nursed five babies (and no, this is not a picture of me--my babies NEVER had that much hair!) and each experience has been a little different. However, one thing that was common across each of them was that I never had very fatty milk. I produced the 2 % version, I guess. One of the main reasons, I think, was that for several years I was a die-hard vegan (no dairy products or meat) and I know that the absence of all those all-American fatty foods probably had a lot to do with my leaner milk. But it always kind of bothered me. Now, my husband is tall, dark and handsome and genetics does play a part, but I never could quite figure out how to beef up my milk.

. . . Until one day last year when my dear "herb friend" told me in passing about goat's rue. What a blessing for this mama! It was inexpensive to buy and within a couple of days my milk changed dramatically. It was so white and rich, and my baby seemed more satisfied for longer periods of time. The flow of milk was also good and steady-- no more dry well after five minutes.

So, goat's rue is one of my favorite nursing herbs now. Thank you, my dear friend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever take Goat's Rue during your last month of pregnancy? I'm about to have baby#4 and would really like to breastfeed exclusively. Thanks for your advice!

Health at Home said...

Congratulations on your sweet baby! I am five months pregnant myself (baby #6).

I did not take goat's rue until AFTER my last baby was born, and I have only taken goat's rue that one time. My experience was that I was able to take the rue after the baby was born with no problems. I plan to take goat's rue after this baby is born also.

I did a little bit of study for you on the use of goat's rue during pregnancy. The best I can find on the safety of it during pregnancy is that there isn't enough evidence and to "seek the counsel of your healthcare practitioner."

I did find out something very interesting and exciting, though. I discovered that alfalfa (which I recently blogged about) is very safe during pregnancy, full of trace minerals and essential nutrients, and has been shown to INCREASE milk supply.

So, be encouraged that you've got options! I know from personal experience that goat's rue is safe once your baby is in your arms, and I also know that alfalfa is safe while you are still pregnant.

Blessings for a healthy pregnancy and an easy birth!